Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Moth is a Regal Moth

Updated: 6/27/2008 We have an ID from an Entomologist, this is definitely a Regal Moth! Thanks for all the help identifying this creature.

For those of you following today's little story about the big moth, I have released him. Before I did, I took a few more photo's. There have been plenty of guesses as to his identity. The most recent comes from my freinds at the local public library, reference desk, they suggest it may be a regal moth. Check this out, http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/bfly/regal_moth.htm click on the Adult link to see a larger photo. I think it looks pretty close.

Here is a picture of it's underside


A photo from the top with my hand for a size comparison


And another of his top side, a bit closer
Thanks for all the help and the guesses. I set him under the lilac bush in the shade on the towel with a portion of the towel water soaked. Last I looked he was gone.

No comments: