Monday, May 12, 2008

How to build an Upside Down Tomato Planter PART I

Many of you have asked me how I make the upside down planters so, here it is,

"My Photo Essay"
I hope you like it and find it helpful!

Lay Out Plan
Here is the almost finished, Upside Down Garden Frame. It is sitting on blocks, and has some heavy screw eyes installed for hanging plants. We bent the screw eyes to open them, ever so slightly, making it just possible to slip the wire bale (wire handles) thru them. This will keep the buckets hanging up all summer and into the fall. There are plans to add an "east wing" and a "west wing" to the frame but, I don't expect to get to that for another week or two. If you will, imagine with me for a moment two boards attached to the top brace of the frame on each side of the frame, these boards will extend out and have a hook on each end. We will hang one bucket from each end of that new "extension". It may help to look at the buckets on the ground, they are in the approximate locations that the new buckets be. (Of course, they will not be on the ground. Use your imagination!) They will hang from the "wings/arms, elevated a bit higher than the buckets that are already in place and hanging. I promise to update the blog with our progress on the "build out" on this frame.

If all goes well I hope be able to use this structure as a temporary green house next year, in the early spring 2009. I may even be able extend my tomato season this autumn.

HOW I BUILT THE UPSIDE DOWN PLANTERS

Preparing The Buckets

Using a 2 1/2 inch hole saw in a standard drill, cut a hole thru the center of the bottom. There is often a dimple that is recessed in the bottom which makes it very easy to center your drill.






I use both cat litter buckets and 5 gallon buckets. Whichever I can get free or cheap. I make sure to only use buckets that are new or have not held any nasty chemicals, etc.

Using an 1/8 inch drill, make some holes around the perimeter of the bucket bottom. These will aid in letting out extra water from serious rainfall that might tend to water log the plants if it took too long for it to escape. I like to have good drainage available if I need it.

Adding An Extra Growing Space
































This year we decided to add an additional plant to some of our containers so, we drilled additional hole in the side of some of the buckets. We made the new holes, the same size as the bottom hole, using the 2 1/2 inch hole saw again.
We hope to plant suitable tomato companions in this extra side space. So far, I have planted basil in the sides of two of the planters. I have not decided what to grow in this space in the other containers. I'll decide which plants to use as I fill each bucket.


Keeping The Dirt In the Pot

Looking around, I found that different sites recommend several different solutions for making sure the dirt stays in the container. Some sites do not mention it at all. Since the hole is on the bottom of the planter and there are times the water runs thru the pot, I feel a need to insure that I don't lose soil thru that bottom space. I suppose, that in time, the roots would really help block the soil from exiting but, in the meantime, what to do? I choose to use foam. It has lots of flexibility, is not difficult to handle and it is readily available used, free or cheap! Last year I used some from old seat cushions that had worn fabric (the sort that tie onto kitchen chairs). This year I found this twin size roll of "egg crate" foam for $1, it is working well. I imagine it will take years to use it all. The foam may not last years as it is already well aged.


Cutting The Foam To Fit
I just cut a rectangle a little larger than the bottom of the pot. I then cut that piece into two pieces, one to cover the bottom hole and one to cover the side (the foam really helps provide additional support for the side growing plant until it gets it's roots set)


Marking And Cutting The Foam




The front piece of foam fits nicely behind the indent that is in the bottom of these buckets. It makes a nice support, holdinging it against the side wall of the bucket.







Holding the foam inside with one hand, mark the foam from the outside with a pen at a diagonal. The line/cut area is best cut in this direction (see next picture for specifics)

Note that the line is aligned from corner to corner. If marked and cut this way, it allows for extra "finger room" when positioning the plant later.





Now, the cut can be made with scissors or a sharp knife













Here is the final hole, ready to accommodate the plants roots.
Covering the bottom hole:
The second piece of foam, cut earlier, should simply lay over the bottom hole. It does not need to cover the bottom of the bucket/pot it only needs to cover the hole with some extra fabric around the bottom of the pot.

Mark and cut on the diagonal, the same as the side piece.

Now the pot is prepared, I will turn my attention to preparing the water resevoir.

See Part II,
Making The Reservoir

No comments: