Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Behind The Scenes

Wash Day!

Today's weather seemed perfect to get a start on the container gardening. Before I plant I like to empty the dirt out and wash out the containers. There are quite a few planters. Not all will be planted this year, some will be stored for next year. Sitting out in the elements they only last a few years. I keep collecting them as I can so that I will have a good supply when I need it. Planning ahead means I will be able to continue to grow what I need now, and in the years to come.

Many of these containers will live on the deck, outside the kitchen. Others will be set in the garden and possibly be placed around the yard. I hope to put some pretty flowers into some of them.

I set up in the driveway for my big "wash day". I set up two saw horses and set a Rubbermaid watering trough on top, it saves my back quite a bit. After gathering my rags, scrub brushes, and green Scotch Brite pads, I fill it with the hose, add bleach and wearing two pair of rubber gloves get to scrubbing! (a lightweight neoprene pair inside of a heavier latex pair) I try to wash the containers every year before replanting them to make sure they are not harboring any bugs, viruses, fungus's, nothing that might put this years plants at risk, that might persist in the corners of a plastic or clay pot.

Once the pots were clean, I washed the rocks you see laying on the blue tarp. They used to cover the flower filled area there, near the window. This year, once they are all cleaned up, they will line the bottoms of various containers. No longer "decorative", they will now be put to practical uses.

No comments: