Thursday, May 15, 2008

Progess as Planned

Waiting Patiently
First thing, I checked on my seedlings and gave them all a drink! They continue to sit and wait patiently. The collection grows regularly, every trip to the nursery or local shopping center parking lot (they have a temporary plant sales place set up there) results in two or three new plants. Next year, I will plan it all out in advance and grow my own seedlings again, not this year. Buying seedlings is expensive business, though I admit, I enjoy the search and the discovery of new things. Yesterday I bought a penny royal plant and a Stevia plant, nice additions to the herb garden.

Not Done Yet
Mid-morning we ran out of vermiculite and had to quit our soil mixing work. Before I left for the nursery for more, I took a few pictures to document the progress we had made.

This picture, taken from the garden gate, shows the progress and the two frames that I have sitting in wait, covered to keep those weeds from growing too fast until I can get to them.

Coarse Vermiculite
I made lunch and then, headed for the Nursery, Merrifield (Fair Oaks Location) in Northern Virginia. This was the first time I have been able to find coarse vermiculite. Third year of SFG'ing, three must be the charm. Since it was so difficult for me to find this product. I decided to take photo's of the bags that it came in and to share it with others here. I hope it's helpful to some of us. The Gentleman at the nursery tells me that they carry it...when they can get it. Seems it is difficult to get so, they buy it when it's available. Call first! Make sure you are specific when asking about it, this particular nursery had 3 different packages of vermiculite, only a few bags of the coarse variety, even less after I bought mine. The bags were about 1/2 the size of the usual 4 cu. ft. bags of medium vermiculite I had bought in the past. Special thanks for the info about Merrifield Garden Center availability to, Detrick from the SFG list!

Close up! (the ink is deep green)
Now that we have more material, it's back to work!

We finished filling the frames today. The garden area (and beyond) are all trimmed up. Next will be the installation of weed blocking tiles around each frame. That "should" keep the weeds from encroaching on the boxes/frames and keep the string trimmer from beating up the outsides of the boxes.

SFG, End Of The Day From Up Above

Raspberries!
In the far back corner of the SFG, lives my small, temporary patch of raspberries. I decided a "close up" without all the surrounding junk in it was in order. Though mostly neglected, they seem to be doing very well. I intend to build out their frame/box once we get the big old platform torn out of there, later this season. It is hard to be patient when I can see such progress being made.

Upside Down From Up Above
Here is one more photo of the Upside Down Garden, not much change, a few seeds planted in the small boxes on the ground, one side is hyacinth beans and one is nasturtiums. I can hardly wait to watch them climb up the side of the frame.

The weather folks are calling for rain. Time to take another break from the outdoor work and get back to work indoors for a day. Sourdough bread is on the list of chores today.

Hope to get back to work on the garden this weekend, if not before then.

3 comments:

Mrs. O'Neill said...

How did you make your soil mixture. What did you put in it?

Amaizing said...

I used Mel's Mix, best explained in the, "All New Square Foot Gardening" books and also on Mel's official site, http://www.squarefootgardening.com/, SOIL - Fill boxes with Mel's special soil mix: 1/3 blended compost, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 coarse vermiculite.

He has a great site, lots of info and his books are well worth the investment. I will showcase more of his methods on m site as the season unfolds.

Unknown said...

I admire all the work you and your helpers have done. The knowledge that you are giving out is wonderful!!! You are a great teacher and leader!

I hope that this summer your garden takes off and gives you some wonderful yields.

Thank you for being so willing to share your garden with us, even though the pictures, so that we can be along for the ride.