Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A little bit of this and that, Updates

These first two pictures are for my friends, Dorothy (who sent me the seeds of friendship) and my friend vi, who loves all things lavender.

I met Dorothy online, she lives across the country from me, thousands of miles away. I mentioned that I loved violets and wished I had some. The next thing I knew there were packages of seeds for viola's (johnny jump ups) in my mailbox! I planted them and they grew! And they grew some more. And, they smiled at me all winter and they spread their seeds everywhere! I have them in the cracks of the sidewalk, in pots that I had not gotten to replanting yet and, little surprises popping up throughout my lawn. They are peeking out everywhere, what lovely little surprises!

Seeds Of Friendship

Seeds Of Freindship, Popping Up Everywhere!

And now for the updates:

Here is a photo of the chain and hook I use to pot the upside down planters. It sure makes the job easier! (Sorry I missed putting it into the earlier entry)



I bought a new Concord Grape Vine today. I bought a dormant root plant earlier from one of the big Home Centers but it just didn't make it. I was so determined to establish a grape vine this year that I purchased another. this one looks hale and happy, hope I can manage to keep it that way! If you look (photo below) back in the far corner (top of the photo) you can see that we have finished filling one SFG frame with soil. We did it the other day, just before the rain started. (I think we must have gotten 5 inches of rain since then, maybe more. I feel sure that the drought restrictions have been or will soon be lifted here. I was glad we got a break in the weather so we could get some more progress made today.
Tonight we emptied out the last of the bags of mulch we had stored, out of the last unfinished SFG frame, turned it over and attached the chicken wire to the bottom. We are preparing to finish filling the SFG frames tomorrow.
We trimmed the weeds down low on the established frames. I then cut cardboard to fit over the tops of the frames, over the the weeds. I am hoping to keep the weed development down until I can get back to them to weed them out. I am so busy building the rest that I was afraid the weeds would just get away from me if I didn't do something.

And lastly, here is the most recent photo of the Upside Down Garden. I added the growing boxes at either end today. They will be planted with beans that I plan to have grow up the "A frame" sides of the Garden Frame.

Tomorrow we will lay the cardboard under the last frame and fill them all with Mel's Mix. Then I will begin placing the newspaper and tiles around the new frames. Preparation is all I can think about these days and the work I need to do to make these frames as low maintenance as possible throughout the coming growing season.

I'll be very busy tomorrow, "making hay while the sun shines" you know. I'll be doing my best to take a few pictures of the progress between all the work. I might not get to the photo's until the end of the work day.

Thanks for stopping by and happy gardening!

No comments: