Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How Things Look In late May

I did a bit of this and that around the garden and yard today, nothing worth lengthy description. So, I thought it might be a good day to take a couple of photo's to show progress or...possible failure. I like to think of all of it as learning experiences. The more I do this the more I learn what to do and what not to do.

An Upside Down Tomato Getting Comfortable
If you look closely, you see the tomato is doing pretty well, beginning to look up and curl toward the sun. Look even closer, and you will see the side planting of basil. It does not looked nearly as happy but it does seem like it may settle in and do reasonably well.


A Comparison Of Side Planted Basil Plants

The plant in the foreground looks like it will survive and maybe even thrive. The basil in the background is barely showing any life. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two plantings. I know that we have had a lot of rain recently so, it may be more surprising that the one plant is doing so well. Basil does not like to be wet all the time.

I still have not replaced the watering reservoirs in these upside down planters. I hope to get more 1 liter bottles to use soon.

The "New" Strawberry Pyramid Is Filled With Flowers
The Strawberry Pyramids are growing nicely, making lots of flowers. There are quite a few small immature berries already in place, with more to come along soon! I am hoping to get enough fruit to put some up this year. The pyramid above is the one I put in last year (2007) These are the berries I plan to catch runners from and transfer into the other pyramid later this season. I think the fruit in this pyramid is superior in size, flavor and vigor. I will be sure of the flavor aspect once this crop is ripe enough to eat. I check them daily.


Here Is The Original Pyramid

This pyramid holds two different species of strawberry, one is a June bearer and one an everbearer. I am not impressed with the vigor of either these plants. I hope the plants in the other pyramid (given to me thru Freecycle) live up to my expectations. So I can replant both pyramids with the same fruit.

I hope to build a new "cage" for the "new" pyuramid soon and I will explain the process and take photo's along the build so that others can see how I make a cage.

It seems a gardener's work is never finished. Once these finish their fruit they will send out runners. I plan to catch those and transplant some of them others, I plan to give away on Freecycle. Then, I need to renovate the pyramids. They need to have some dirt replaced, some food, and maybe some pruning later in the season.

No comments: