Tuesday, May 6, 2008

We have babies!


I am going to have gooseberries! Yay!

I bought this plant two years ago with high hopes. About ten years ago, I tried to grow a gooseberry plant unsuccssfully. This time, in a new climate, I have babied it and, it has paid off! I bought this plant from a fellow gardener, not a nursery. I brought it home and planted it in a container, with really good dirt and excellent drainage. It made about 3 berries for me last year, it tried but it was just not settled in yet. This year I believe there will be enough berries to make a batch of gooseberry jam! As a child my best friend and I spent many summer days playing "fort" in an old furniture box set next to her families back porch. We lived on wild things, chives and gooseberries. Those berries were sour and puckered us up! It has been such a strong memory and I have been trying to recapture that taste for years. Now, all grown up, I will make jam with some of the berries saving a few to eat fresh. I plan to savor berries, those moments, and revisit some great old memories!

This is a major success for me. I am building more confidence as a gardener.


2 comments:

vi said...

the wonder and delight never leave when you garden joey......every season and plant is different

i am planting CAPE gooseberries this year
i hope
i can't seem to get my garden in gear

Anne said...

Joey -

My parents had a gooseberry bush (Cape gooseberries, appropriately grown in Cape Town, South Africa) in their garden. The last time we visited, my children loved picking them, and making gooseberry pie with Granny!

Thanks for this great blog - you are actually making me want to get some dirt under my fingernails!

Anne (Sterling Freecycle)